Non-fungible tokens popular as NFTs are soaring in a wild rage currently in the crypto markets. The craze around NFTs is so high that the Google search for NFTs has skyrocketed in recent times thereby exceeding decentralized finance (DeFi) and coming closer to the interest of Ethereum (ETH). As crypto-journalist Wu Blockchain reports:
“According to the google index, the Google search volume of NFT has suddenly skyrocketed since February 7, and it has far exceeded DeFi and is close to ETH. The reason may be related to celebrity NFT, Logan Paul’s NFT has a huge search volume, and opensea is most searched platform”.
A non-fungible token (NFT) s a special type of cryptographic token representing something that is unique. Thus, no two NFTs are mutually interchangeable. These tokens are basically created to represent digital scarcity, and give digital ownership.
Recently, celebrities and billionaire investors interested in high-ticket items have also joined the NFT craze. Billionaire Marc Cuban has already joined the NFT mania and much recently he shared a digital collectible commemorating Luka Doncic and Dirk Nowitzki.
— Mark Cuban (@mcuban) March 5, 2021
Ethereum blockchain has been one of the popular destinations for NFTs. It hosts some of the popular NFT games like CryptoKitties that caught massive craze in late 2017. However, other NFT marketplaces like Rarible and OpenSea are catching up with popularity at a quick speed.
Top NFT News Over the Last Week
Over the last week, the crypto market has been flooded with NFT news with NFTs and digital collectible worth millions of dollars have been sold in the open market. Popular personalities from different frontiers like music, digital artwork, sports and others are warming up to NFTs.
- American Rockbank Kings of Leons is planning to launch its new album “When You See Yourself,” in the form of NFT. The album will be available on NFT Marketplace YellowHeart later today and the sale process will continue for a period of two weeks. The rock band will also offer several other exclusive items in the form of a series called “NFT Yourself”.
- Recently, the original artwork of Banksy dubbed Morons, worth a massive $100,000, was destroyed only after converting it to a non-fungible token (NFT). The destruction of the physical artwork took place earlier this week in Brooklyn, New York and live-streamed. The auction for the Banksy NFT is taking place on the OpenSea NFT marketplace and will continue up to March 9. The winning bidder gets the unique digital code of the artwork.
- 250-year-old auction house Christie’s recently conducted a sale of digital artwork by Mike “Beeple” Winkelmann using NFTs on the digital marketplace MakersPlace.
- Legendary digital artist Ben Mauro, recently conducted the sale of his 21 NFTs which were all sold in a flash sale of just under 7 minutes raising a whopping $2 million. The sale took place on the VIV3 Marketplace leveraging the Flow Blockchain.
- National Basketball Association (NBA) has joined hands with Dapper Labs to launch its own digital collectible NFTs. dubbed as NBA Top Shot, it is a marketplace for NFTs. NBA Top Shot Marketplace is built using Dapper Labs’ Flow blockchain platform. As per a CNBC report, it has already generated $230 million worth of sales in the form of NFTs.
Going ahead at this rate, NFTs could soon be a multi-billion dollar market and probably might also see explosive growth like the DeFi market. To support NFT investors, Hex Trust has launched the first-ever NFT custodial service.
The post NFT Google Search Volume Exceeds DeFi and Ethereum (ETH) As Celebrities Join the Craze appeared first on Coingape.