Latest news about Bitcoin and all cryptocurrencies. Your daily crypto news habit.
Place a reserve order on your next Trezor today, to save money and help balance supply with deferred delivery.
Recently we wrote about how the global chip supply shortage is impacting the production of crypto hardware — critical infrastructure like ASIC miners, node components and, of course, hardware wallets. Coupled with a supply chain shock, news which many of you have no doubt read about recently, the end-to-end logistics necessary for physical hardware has been crippled, at a time when new highs across cryptocurrency markets have pushed demand for security to even higher levels.
Self-custody is an essential part of cryptocurrency. That’s why everyone needs a secure, easy-to-use device that stores their keys safely offline. Having breached all-time highs several times these past few weeks, many people are starting to realize that it’s time to upgrade their security and move their coins to cold storage. Unfortunately, as the price rises and supply chains continue to break down, demand could eventually outpace supply.
To ensure everyone has access to security, Trezor is introducing a temporary change to order placement options. From today, orders for Trezor Model T hardware wallets can be placed in two ways:
- Customers who need their delivery to be fulfilled as soon as possible can place an order as usual with Express shipping.
- Customers who are able to wait but would like to avoid a possible shortage in future can order the Trezor Model T Reserve from the Trezor shop, and get a 13% discount on their order! Reserve orders will be delivered within 3 months from the date of payment.
Will Trezor run out of stock?
While we have increased our production of Model T wallets to meet the growing demand, the Reserve option gives customers the opportunity to save money on their purchase and guarantee that they will receive their wallet no matter how the situation progresses.
There is still enough stock to supply more urgent requests for those who can’t wait, but it has become necessary to plan for unforeseen complications and balance demand ahead of time.
All Trezor Model T Reserve orders will be fulfilled within 3 months of payment, according to when they were placed. Orders may take as little as one month, depending on supply and demand, but this is expected to vary depending on when the device is ordered.
How do I place an order?
To order the Trezor Model T express, simply choose Trezor Model T from the Trezor shop homepage as you would usually. Add the product to your basket and proceed to checkout. Your Trezor will be dispatched once the order is paid.
To reserve a Trezor for guaranteed delivery within 3 months, choose Trezor Model T reserve from the Trezor shop and complete checkout. Reserve orders will be dispatched according to capacity, which is expected to take up to three months from the date the order is placed.
To better understand these different options, here’s an example of how it would look for two customers:
- Adam has a mining rig at home and needs a new hardware wallet to redistribute his earnings. He orders a Trezor Model T with express delivery on November 5. The order is processed and dispatched that same day. On November 12, the Trezor arrives at his door.
- Barbora uses a mobile wallet but rising crypto prices mean she’s considering moving her funds to a hardware wallet. To make sure she doesn’t miss out, she orders her Trezor Model T Reserve on November 5. Her order is processed and she receives a confirmation that her Trezor has been reserved. A Model T is allocated to her from the next batch delivered to the warehouse. On December 15, the Trezor arrives at her door.
A third scenario is also possible, if there is a significant spike in demand or further issues with supply:
- Chloe orders her Trezor Model T Reserve on November 20, after weeks of strong crypto price growth. Her order is processed the same day and she receives confirmation that her Trezor has been reserved. Demand is high and all Trezors from the next available batch have already been reserved. A Model T is allocated to her from the next production batch. On January 15, the Trezor arrives at her door.
These changes are temporary
Introducing reserve orders is the most effective way to ensure that whoever needs a Trezor has access to one. Rather than hope for the best, we are taking this proactive approach in anticipation of further disruption to chip supply and logistics, to ensure our products are consistently available in the long term.
We recognize that as crypto usage increases, so does the need for proper security. These temporary measures will help balance increasing demand so that no-one is left without a safe and easy way to self-custody their coins. Luckily we have been able to assess the situation and provide a solution that will mean the Trezor Model T is available to buy throughout the holiday season, even if that means longer shipping times.
As the situation develops, we will look to revise these temporary limitations and we plan to return to normal service as soon as possible. We hope these measures will have minimal impact on our customers; we do not expect to see any such impact on the supply of Trezor Model One devices, which provide an equal level of security, so we will continue to have various security options available to suit all customer preferences.
Reserve your Trezor Model T in advance and save money! was originally published in Trezor Blog on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not reflect the views of Bitcoin Insider. Every investment and trading move involves risk - this is especially true for cryptocurrencies given their volatility. We strongly advise our readers to conduct their own research when making a decision.