Latest news about Bitcoin and all cryptocurrencies. Your daily crypto news habit.
The roadmap targets milestones featuring DeFi enhancements, direct integrations with Bitcoin and Ethereum, tokenization, and much more.
In 2019, the DFINITY Foundation’s team of distinguished cryptographers, computer scientists, distributed systems engineers, and programming language experts charted a series of milestones for the Internet Computer blockchain’s core development toward Genesis launch. The Foundation has since committed R&D resources to the ecosystem in the form of technical contributions that are adopted and shaped by the Internet Computer community via Network Nervous System proposals.
Last December, the community adopted a major set of 25 motion proposals outlining the blockchain’s R&D roadmap for the coming years. View the updated Internet Computer roadmap here: https://dfinity.org/roadmap
The new R&D roadmap includes a series of six milestones focusing on DeFi enhancements, direct integrations, dapp tokenization, and much more:
- Titanium | DeFi (completed)
- Chromium | Bitcoin Integration Satoshi Release
- Carbon | Service Nervous System
- Vanadium | Ethereum Integration Vitalik Release
- Iridium | Multi-Chain Integration
- Futurium | Post-Quantum Cryptography
Please note: The focus and timelines of the milestones are subject to change.
Titanium | Mid-Q1 2022 (completed)
Core Focus: DeFi
- Fully enabled DeFi for zero-gas-fee AMMs, atomic swaps, and GameFi at scale.
- The Internet Computer (IC) is attracting DeFi dapp developers. The ability to serve web content directly from the chain, unparalleled transaction speed, insignificant transaction and storage costs, and the fact that all data is stored on-chain make the IC the ideal blockchain network for DeFi. With the Titanium milestone, essential DeFi building blocks will be released, including APIs for accessing the IC ledger and for token transactions, sample dapps illustrating the most common DeFi use cases, and a ledger canister that can be used by dapp developers.
ETA: Mid-Q1 2022
- Enable canister smart contracts to control ICP tokens (completed)
- Expanded Internet Identity support (completed)
- Bitcoin integration developer preview (completed)
- Titanium sample dapps (completed)
- Merge neurons (completed)
- Ledger canister fit for dapps (completed)
- Verify Candid and Motoko stable variable type safety of canister upgrades (completed)
Chromium | May 2022
Core Focus: Satoshi Release
- Bitcoin direct integration to enable smart contracts and native DeFI for BTC.
- Bitcoin is the largest asset pool in blockchain. With the Chromium milestone, it will be possible for the first time to write advanced smart contracts using Bitcoin. This is achieved with breakthrough cryptographic protocols that extend the IC’s unique Chain Key cryptography. Combining the IC’s transaction speed and low transaction costs with the world’s largest cryptocurrency promises a plethora of new DeFi dapps. The first building blocks for the Service Nervous System’s tokenized governance will also be provided as part of this milestone.
ETA: May 2022
- Direct integration with Bitcoin
- Threshold ECDSA signing
- ICOS boundary nodes
- Nodes can be reassigned to a different subnet
- Simple APIs for ledger transactions
- Decentralized node addition
- Enable HTTPS requests from canisters
- Network performance with larger network: state sync, certification, and XNet
- Open governance for internet services
- Custom subdomains
- Deterministic time slicing
- Security sandboxing
- People parties for validating personhood
- NNS managed node provider remuneration
Carbon | Q2 2022
Core Focus: Service Nervous System
- Tokenization of dapps, DAOs, and open internet services with unique customizations for distinct use cases.
ETA: Q2 2022
- Subnet splitting
- Single transaction / atomicity for swaps
- Third-party “API” boundary nodes
- Fully EVM support
- Canister forking
- Full DeFI support
- Next-gen web interaction, including making some data natively available
- Monitoring for misbehaving nodes and remuneration penalties
- Node operating system security
- Support attributes in Internet Identity
- Proposal spam prevention mechanism
- Proposal withdrawal mechanism
- Adapter-based ICP/cycles conversion rate mechanism
- Easy-to-use submission of canister deletion and suspension proposals
- Message to canister controller
- AMD SEV virtual machine support
- Rosetta API updates | neuron custody
- Suspend and resurrect canisters
- Scalability of statesync beyond 300 GB
- Scalability of XNet beyond 50 subnets
- Bounded gossip and artifact pool data structures
- Proposal-based claiming of seed/ECT neurons
Vanadium | Q3 2022
Core Focus: Vitalik Release
- Direct integration with Ethereum, interoperable smart contracts, no bridges (higher security), ability to interact with ETH assets directly on the Internet Computer blockchain and leverage the IC’s reverse-gas model.
ETA: Q3 2022
- ETH1 (execution layer) integration
- Single canister migration between subnets
- Node provider auctions
- Big Map
- Decentralized network monitoring MVP
- Statistical deviation of replicas automatically detected and addressed
- E2E security — fully decentralized party boundary nodes
- TEE-secured boundary nodes
- Scalability of statesync to 1T
- Community Fund
Iridium | Q4 2022
Core Focus: Multi-Chain Integration
- Continuing direct integrations across the most high-impact blockchain ecosystems and continuing toward a Web3 future of blockchain singularity.
ETA: Q4 2022
- Decentralized CA and DNS (including custom domain names)
- TEE-enhanced replica
- Multi-chain integration such as ETH2 (consensus layer), etc.
- F+1 query calls enabled
- Next-gen P2P network
- Support for arbitrary size ingress messages
- Storage subnets
- Decentralized backups and disaster recovery
- Automatic node rotation
Futurium | 2023 & Beyond
Core Focus: Post-quantum cryptography
- Developing features for the Internet Computer blockchain to apply post-quantum cryptography and continue to advance crypto innovation.
ETA: 2023 & beyond
- Post-quantum cryptography
- MPC for canisters
- Automatic subnet creation and management
Start building at smartcontracts.org and join the developer community at forum.dfinity.org.
The Internet Computer’s Post-Genesis R&D Roadmap was originally published in The Internet Computer Review on Medium, where people are continuing the conversation by highlighting and responding to this story.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are solely those of the authors and do not reflect the views of Bitcoin Insider. Every investment and trading move involves risk - this is especially true for cryptocurrencies given their volatility. We strongly advise our readers to conduct their own research when making a decision.